Submitted by Matt Cutler on Mon, 25/06/2012 – 23:59
Twelve of Australia’s national sporting organisations have turned their backs on alcohol sponsorship by signing up to a major new A$25 million (US$25.16 million) government-funded programme.
The initiative has been established by the government in an effort to address binge drinking and the influence of alcohol promotion on young Australians. Under the terms of the programme, the bodies have agreed to end all existing and future alcohol sponsorship agreements in exchange for a share of A$25 million in new Alcopops tax revenues. The participating organisations include Football Federation Australia, Swimming Australia, Cycling Australia, Hockey Australia and Athletics Australia.
However, the 12 bodies do not include some of the nation’s biggest sports organisations – the Australian Football League (AFL), National Rugby League (NRL) and Cricket Australia – who are set to come under pressure to follow suit. The value of alcohol sponsorship to these organisations was demonstrated earlier this month as the AFL announced a 10-year extension to its historic sponsorship deal with Carlton United Brewers (CUB) in an agreement reportedly worth in excess of A$50 million.
Commenting on the campaign, Australia’s Minister for Sport, Kate Lundy, said: “Sport is a really important part of young peoples’ lives and it’s terrific that our elite athletes have come on board to promote a healthy sporting lifestyle in the lead up to the Olympics. This campaign is about tapping into the positive influence sporting clubs have on young people while promoting responsible drinking.”
The initiative will not affect the pourage rights and service of alcohol at stadiums and events, but instead will cover a range of activities and events from national team sponsorship, to Australia-wide competitions and community sporting events. Swimming Australia CEO Kevin Neil added: “Swimming is one of the highest participation sports among young people in this country and we are choosing to take a proactive approach on this issue because it’s our desire to tackle this problem together as a community.”
Amir Tejo | June 06, 2012
Surabaya. Authorities are calling for a ban on football matches being played in Surabaya following the death of a Persebaya 1927 fan in a stampede at the 10 November Stadium on Sunday.
The incident came just one week after three fans were killed in a brawl at a game in Jakarta between Persija and visiting Persib from Bandung, once again casting a spotlight on fan safety in local matches.
Purwo Edi Utomo, a student in Surabaya, was fleeing from tear gas sprayed by police at fans after Sunday’s game in Surabaya. Witnesses say he fell and was trampled by people trying to escape the tear gas, but police said he died of suffocation.
“Based on the [police] autopsy, the victim died from lack of oxygen and not from physical contact with police officers,” said Sr. Comr. Tri Maryanto, the Surabaya Police chief.
“We are still taking statements from other fans who saw what happened.”
In an e-mail to the Jakarta Globe, David Prendergast, a football enthusiast who was at the stadium when the incident occurred, said police abruptly fired tear gas in response to some Persebaya fans throwing plastic bottles onto the pitch after Persebaya lost 3-2 to Persija in injury time.
“[A police officer] fired his weapon indiscriminately into the crowd. Each shot produced five small tear gas canisters that spread out evenly from the center as they lobbed into an array of men, women and children,” Prendergast wrote.
“The officer’s colleagues followed suit. The crowd moved like a stormy sea — heading in one direction to avoid one canister before swerving to avoid another.”
But Tri gave another explanation for what happened, saying that unruly fans tried to get onto the pitch and police were forced to stop them by spraying tear gas.
“It was in line with our security procedures,” Tri said. “We only tried to prevent the mob from being too aggressive.”
Okto Tyson, a veteran Persebaya supporter, said Tri should have understood the nature of Persebaya 1927 fans, known as bonek , who he said typically appeared to be violent but never meant any harm.
“He should understand the character of the Surabaya people because he is also a Surabayan,” he said.
East Java Governor Soekarwo said he would discuss the Surabaya Police proposal to ban all Persebaya 1927 matches in the city, but added he was waiting for an explanation from Insp. Gen. Hadiatmoko, the East Java Police chief.
“Today I will contact him to discuss this problem,” Soekarwo said on Monday. “I’m deeply concerned about the incident.”
Saleh Ismail Mukadar, the deputy secretary general of the Indonesian Football Association (PSSI), claimed that matches in Surabaya had always been safe.
“We suspect there was a hidden agenda behind this conflict,” he said. “It’s apparent in the difficulty Persebaya had in obtaining a permit for the game.”
TORONTO (Reuters) – A concert by the British rock band Radiohead was canceled after a section of the stage collapsed during sound checks and rehearsals before the show on Saturday, killing one person and injuring three others, police said.
The band was not on stage at the time, police said, and members of the group were not believed to have been involved in the accident, which occurred at about 4 p.m. local time at Downsview Park, about 5 miles north of downtown Toronto.
A Canadian musician named Dan Snaith, who performs under the name Caribou, had been set to open for Radiohead on Saturday, according to his website, but there was no word on whether he was on stage when the mishap occurred.
Representatives for the concert’s promotion company, Live Nation, were not immediately available for comment. Downsview Park officials had no comment on the incident except to confirm that the Radiohead concert had been canceled as a result.
Toronto police spokesman Sergeant Tim Burrows told Reuters that about 20 people were in the direct vicinity of the stage, conducting rehearsals and sound checks, when it gave way.
A police statement issued on Twitter said one man in his 30s was pronounced dead at the scene and a 45-year-old man was taken to a local hospital with a non-life-threatening head injury. It said two other males suffered less serious injuries.
Burrows said investigators were still unsure what caused the mishap.
Pictures of the scene posted on social media sites showed a large section of metal scaffolding over and around the stage that had collapsed in the middle of the concert platform.
Radiohead, an alternative rock group led by singer Thom Yorke and famed for such hits as “Creep” and “Paranoid Android,” is on an international tour this summer.
Their 1997 album “OK Computer” established the band as one of the top musical acts of the decade. The group made waves with its 2007 collection “In Rainbows,” which the band ambitiously released first as a digital download while allowing customers to set their own price for it.
(Reporting by Frank McGurty in Toronto and Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Writing by Steve Gorman; Editing by Anthony Boadle)
2,534 Police Personnel to Secure Inter Milan Match
BERITAJAKARTA.COM — 24/05/2012 14:42:15
2,534 personnel are deployed by Jakarta Police to secure the match between Inter Milan and Indonesia Selection League at Gelora Bung Karno Main Stadium (SUGBK) this afternoon (5/24). The security effort started from the hotel where Inter Milan stays in, on the way to the stadium, during the match, in the changing room, until back to the hotel.
The club owned by Massimo Moratti, an Italian oil tycoon, will play in two matches on its five-day tour in Jakarta. The first would be against Indonesia Selection League this afternoon and the second against U-23 Indonesian National Team on Saturday (5/26).
Head of Public Relations Section for Jakarta Police Sr. Comr. Rikwanto said there will be no traffic diversion during the match against this afternoon as well as during the match with U-23 Indonesia National Team. “There will be no traffic diversion, but officers are put on standby to regulate the traffic,” he stated, Thursday (5/24).
20 thousand people are predicted to come and watch the friendly match this afternoon SUGBK, which has the capacity for 80 thousand people. “The tickets are still being sold,” added Rikwanto.
On this tour, Inter Milan’s coach Andrea Stramaccioni brought along his star players, such as Javier Zanetti, Diego Milito, Maicon, and Julio Cesar.
My View-With 2,534 police and 20,000 expected fans the patron manager ratio will be one police officer for every eight fans.
Soccer stadium violence in Argentina
The Associated Press – Sun, May 27, 2012
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) At least one person was reported in serious condition Sunday with a bullet wound in a shooting outside a soccer stadium. The violence follows the death of a 21-year-old man in a shootout between factions of a hooligan gang.
The state-run news agency Telam said the death occurred Saturday outside the stadium where a match between Argentine first-division clubs Lanus and All Boys was about to start.
Officials identified the dead man as 21-year-old Daniel Sosa.
Violence inside and outside stadiums has intensified in Argentina. According to the group Let’s Save Football, at least five people died this year in soccer-related violence.
London Olympic visitors to undergo strick security checks
by: Lucy Carne in London From: News Limited newspapers
May 31, 2012
VISITORS to London’s Olympic Games will under go strict airport-style security checks, including a ban on liquids over 100mls, when entering venues.
While a sandwich per person has been declared safe, picnics will not be permitted in the Olympic park, it was also revealed.
Security chiefs insist the tight lock down will not impact on spectators’ enjoyment when the biggest show on earth begins next month.
At an Olympic security and safety briefing yesterday, Minister for Crime and Security James Brokenshire said the screenings will provide reassurance.
“The nature and style of what people will be experiencing will be very much the same as you would expect if you were traveling on an aircraft and going through standard airport security,” he said.
LOCOG Chief Executive Paul Deighton insisted the airport checks will not trigger massive waits for Games-goers.
He said: “I would be surprised to see queues longer than 15 or 20 minutes at the absolute peak times. I don’t think there will be much queuing at all.”
Olympic security has come under fire after spending topped $1.6 billion.
Sydney’s pre-9/11 Olympic security bill in 2000 came in at only $179.6 million.
Security guards have also been encouraged to smile and not alienate sports fans with overzealous policing.
The recommendation followed an incident during the start of the torch relay when a police security team grabbed an onlooker who they believed came too close to the torch and pushed him into a hedge.
Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison, who is the National Olympic Security Coordinator, said they were ready for anything and were preparing for the UK’s terrorism security threat level to be raised from ‘substantial’ to ‘severe’ for the Games.
He said they had “looked at all attack methodologies”, from biological weapons to ‘lone wolf’ operators.
“Whatever they’ve used before – whether it’s been devices, whether it’s been Mumbai-style – those are the sorts of things we’ve considered and we’ve put in place appropriate security regimes,” he said.