By The Associated Press, May 22, 2012
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A minor fender bender in a Dodger Stadium parking lot over the weekend led to the beating of a driver and the arrest of four people more than a year after a San Francisco Giants fan was left with brain damage after an attack on opening day, police said Monday.
The latest attack occurred Sunday, when the victim, a man in his 20s, had a collision with another driver and three other men pinned him down, police said.
The other driver kicked and hit the victim in the head and face while he was on the ground, police Sgt. David Armas said.
“It was just a minor fender bender that just got totally out of hand,” he said.
The victim, whose name was not released, had scrapes and cuts to his face, but his injuries were not life-threatening, Armas said. A woman in the victim’s car who is eight months pregnant was not hurt, but she was examined at a hospital as a precaution, he said.
The four men were arrested for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon. They were identified late Monday as Arthur Morales, 20; Alan Trujillo, 29; Alejandro Briceno, 29; and Ulises Briceno, 26.
The men have been released after posting bail, $30,000 each.
In a statement, Dodgers officials praised stadium security and Los Angeles police for a “quick security response (that) prevented the confrontation from escalating further.”
Security responded within moments, according to the statement issued Monday.
Dodger President Stan Kasten said the organization is committed to providing a safe, family-friendly environment for fans.
The violence came after Giants fan Bryan Stow was beaten last year. Two men have pleaded not guilty to charges including mayhem and assault. Stadium officials beefed up security after that attack.
Stow’s family has filed a lawsuit against the team and previous owner Frank McCourt, claiming security cutbacks were partially to blame for the attack.
The Dodgers were sold earlier this year to an ownership group that includes NBA legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson.
Dodgers security staff and uniformed off-duty Los Angeles police were at the stadium Sunday and responded quickly.
Cmdr. Andrew Smith said the officer who detained the suspects was an off-duty LAPD officer who was working in uniform for the Dodgers.
Dodger Stadium is one of the few places that LAPD allows officers to be hired by an outside organization and to wear their police uniform, Smith said.
Police were out in full force on opening day last month and reported a drop in the number of arrests and public drinking citations from opening day the previous year.
Police have said officers wearing rival team jerseys will be at every home game.
“We’ve maintained that high presence throughout the year,” Smith said.
The beating occurred after the Dodgers’ 6-5 win over the St. Louis Cardinals.
By Andrew Chow, JD on May 23, 2012
An Alabama fan’s “genital assault” on an unconscious LSU fan has led to criminal charges that could result in a lengthy prison sentence, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.
A grand jury indicted Brian Downing, 32, of Smiths Station, Ala., on charges of sexual battery and obscenity. Downing pleaded not guilty, and “does not acknowledge” being the man seen in a viral Internet video taken after Alabama beat LSU at the BCS national title game Jan. 9, his attorney said.
In the video, a Crimson Tide fan at a Bourbon Street restaurant unzips his pants and places his genitals on an unconscious LSU fan’s neck as others snap photos. The Bama fan then acts like he is sodomizing the LSU fan.
It may have been meant as a joke, but New Orleans police, prosecutors, and grand jurors didn’t find it funny.
Sexual battery — “the intentional touching of the anus or genitals of the victim … using any body part of the offender,” under Louisiana law — carries a possible 10 years in prison, while obscenity can be punished by up to three years in jail and a $2,500 fine, according to the Times-Picayune.
A judge set Brian Downing’s bail at $50,000. He was apparently able to post bond and was released from custody. A trial date is set for Sept. 4.
In addition to criminal charges, Downing also faces a civil lawsuit brought by the unnamed victim.
The LSU fan suffered “mental anguish, humiliation, embarrassment, anxiety and depression,” damage to his reputation, and lost tuition “for having to withdraw from school,” his lawsuit states, according to the Associated Press.
The LSU fan’s suit does not specify a dollar amount for damages. Downing has yet to be served with the suit, his attorney told the AP.
Brian Downing turned himself in after his cousin, the sheriff of Russell County, Ala., recognized him as the man in the LSU fan assault video, Yahoo! Sports reports. Downing is a married father of an 8-month-old son.
May 22, 2012|By Michael Martinez and Scott Thompson, CNN
A 19-year-old man was arrested Tuesday afternoon on charges of eight counts of shooting with intent to kill in the violence following the Oklahoma City Thunder’s playoff victory over the Los Angeles Lakers, authorities said.
Rodney Dewon Hill was arrested about 4:30 p.m. (5:30 p.m. ET), Oklahoma City Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said. The investigation will continue as police have “outstanding suspects,” he said.
Hill was identified by a “victim/witness” in the shooting, according to an affidavit filed in Oklahoma County District Court by Inspector K. Whitebird.
Eight people were shot Monday night just blocks from the Chesapeake Energy Arena as large crowds were leaving the playoff game between the Lakers and the Thunder, police said.
The Thunder eliminated the Lakers from the playoffs and advanced to the next round.
“We have no reason to believe that this was associated directly with the game,” Nelson said. “There has been some speculation, but we don’t have any information on that.
“It’s too early for us to tell (whether) this was gang-related or not,” he added.
As crowds left the arena, Nelson said, “there was some horse-playing going on” and “it was a group of girls that got into a confrontation with a group of guys.”
Whitebird’s affidavit said three males and a female “were involved in an altercation with several of the victims of the shooting.
“Witnesses also corroborated that there were two separate groups involved in an argument,” the affidavit said.
One of the males pulled a gun from his waist and began shooting into the crowd, Whitebird said in the affidavit.
Added Nelson: “Two or three of the people that were injured were just innocent bystanders.”
Of the victims, one was in critical condition and seven suffered non-life-threatening injuries, Nelson said.
Some of the seven were admitted for hospitalization, he said.
“We still have interviews to conduct. We know we have witnesses out there that haven’t contacted us,” Nelson said.
Also, a woman was injured when she was punched and kicked in the crowded streets, authorities said.
The affidavit said the woman is pregnant.
In a statement Tuesday, the Oklahoma City Thunder said team officials were talking with police to determine what happened and whether it could have been prevented.
“We are saddened to hear of the violence following the game last night. It put a damper on what was otherwise an exciting night for Oklahoma City and the Thunder,” the statement said.
Thousands of people were in the area because the Thunder beat the Lakers 106-90 to advance to the Western Conference finals.
“Whenever you get about 8,000 people outside of a venue, we are going to be outnumbered,” Nelson told CNN affiliate KOCO. “You can’t have enough people down here for that.”
Several people had been questioned about the shootings, but no arrests had been made as of Tuesday afternoon, KOCO reported.
“We will continue to work closely with law enforcement and the city to review security and crowd control procedures and we stand ready to make any necessary changes to ensure safety,” the Thunder said Tuesday.
It’s probably safe to say that any debate over the most ridiculous youth sports fight of the year is over. The feat was surely accomplished in British Columbia, where a British Canadian Intermediate A league indoor lacrosse game devolved into a street brawl that was practically taken directly from a video game.
As you can see in the video above, and covered by the Nanaimo Daily News, the Nanaimo Timbermen against the Coquitlam Adanacs became embroiled in a nasty fight when Cody Reed scored to give Coquitlam a nearly insurmountable 15-4 lead before halftime.
Rather than let Reed celebrate his goal with his teammates in peace, a Timbermen player attacked, in part of what the Daily News chronicled would later lead to suspensions for a whopping 15 players.
BLOCK: Reed was hit by the Timberman’s Jordan Kuziuk, who two seconds later was crosschecked by the Adanacs’ Zachary Hartman, who was playing in his first game back after missing time to a concussion.
Those early incidents eventually led to both benches clearing, inciting a fight the likes of which the Intermediate A league had never seen.
“It’s the first time this has happened to me as a commissioner,” B.C. Intermediate A league game Gene Regier told the Daily News. “I’ve seen them at senior games, but this is the first one I’ve had to deal with.
“Tempers are hot and fiery and someone might have said something to them and there you go. Things happen in an instant, there’s a lot of testosterone flowing on the floor.”
That there had never been a fight of anywhere near this size is a fairly remarkable feat in itself. That the fight would involve nearly every member of two teenaged teams is even more unbelievable.
Given how brutal the actions of both teams were, its fairly incredible that only 15 players received suspensions for the brawl.
For his part, the Nanaimo team governor — essentially the team’s general manager charged with maintaining contact with the league — was “horrified” when he was made aware of the brawl while out of town with his family.
“It has been our practice to both win and lose with dignity,” Timbermen’s team governor Bruce Clark told the Daily News. “Young men don’t like to have lopsided wins or their noses rubbed in it. This is not an excuse. What happened was appalling and a black mark on our game.”
Note- Listen to those filming the fight and how upset they are. Incidents such as this can quickly turn a docile crowd into a hostile crowd.
Saturday, May 12, 2012
Robert Lang and WBAL-TV
The Orioles are adding extra security at Oriole Park at Camden Yards to stop fans from running out onto the field during games.
There have been several incidents, including one where a fan was tackled at home plate by an umpire.
Christopher Fatkin was arrested April 27, after he ran onto the field during a game. Umpire Jeff Kellogg tackled Fatkin as he attempted to slide into home plate.
On opening day, another fan Mark Harvey ran onto the field wearing only a cape and “Batman” underwear. He was banned from the stadium.
“It may seem like a fun, harmless stunt, but it’s a real security risk,” said Kevin Cummings, director of ballpark operations at Camden Yards told WBAL-TV.
“It’s all in good fun. Everybody’s having a good time. I think it’s somewhat hilarious, but I think, for them, it’s less hilarious when they’re incarcerated,” said Jen Frieda, an Orioles fan at Friday night’s game.
“It’s disgusting. They should be arrested and put in the pokey where they belong,” another fan said.
“The players are working. This is their workplace, and anybody who would disrupt a workplace like that is not welcome,” Cummings said. “There are nine guys out there for both teams. We don’t need anybody else out there.”
The private security officers will assist police should someone run onto the field. In between innings, the officers will be on top of dugouts and at entrances where the field meets the stands
“Without going into great detail about what will happen if someone runs on the field, we’re going to do our best to minimize their time on the field and give a very prompt response,” Cummings said.
That also means that once a fan is caught, not only will they be banned from Camden Yards for life, but the Orioles have taken a stance with the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office that violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
“It is a crime and it is a disruption, and it is a significant security risk,” Cummings said. “(These are) some of the steps we’re taking to get us up in line with what is the industry standard.”
Running on the field will usually bring charges of trespassing, disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace. The maximum penalty lands a scofflaw in jail for almost a year and fined $2,000.
“If you jump on the field, you’re not welcome at Oriole Park anymore. It’s really that simple,” Cummings said.
by Eric Thurm April 25, 2012
The Minnesota state legislature has overwhelmingly voted to pass a bill that would allow beer to be sold at TCF Bank Stadium starting this fall. Gov. Mark Dayton has said he will sign the bill into law, which would make TCF Bank Stadium the first Big Ten stadium to allow the sale of alcohol, allowing the football team to lead the conference in something, at least.
Part of the reason for the change in policy is financial—the university’s insistence on alcohol-free games had led to serious losses of revenue in recent years, which somehow came as a surprise to the athletics administration. University police also pointed out that people were coming to games drunk anyway (obviously), mooting the administration’s safety concerns about alcohol sales.
Once the law is enacted, anyone in a premium suite will be able to purchase beer in the comfort of their suite, while everyone else will have to go to designated beer gardens that will only serve alcohol through the beginning of the second half of games.
University Board Of Regents Chair Linda Cohen argued that the beer gardens would make games safer. “People wouldn’t have to rush and drink a lot before the game. They could slow down and enjoy a glass of beer while watching the game,” she said, demonstrating a lack of understanding of what most people do at football games. But if the Gophers’ next season is anything like the last one, everyone will be rushing for their next drink.